Monday, April 18, 2016

The Story of My Ta-Duh Day

Someone asked me once what was my most embarrassing moment. I didn't have an answer. I honestly couldn't think of one. Either I don't get embarrassed all that much, block it out, or make it a joke so it isn't embarrassing anymore.
And then I had my Ta-Duh Day.

Let's rewind the clock a bit. (As if that actually reversed time - but I like the phrase.)
I was a Senior in High School.
I didn't like High School. I didn't like school in general, really. I never got along with my peers until I came to University, and even then most of them annoyed me. In High School my issue was that if I was going to be there, I had better get something out of it. Which, as I am sure you are all more than aware, is nigh impossible. With classrooms crammed with a bunch of teenagers that don't want to be there, and don't respect authority, while most of them were on some type of dependency chemical (there is a reason Washington state was the first to legalize Pot) it was impossible for the instructor to teach a valuable lesson start to finish.
I had been taking community college classes instead of high school classes for over a year by then. It is amazing the difference it makes when the classroom is filled with students that want to learn. From classes where the students have to be there in order to not get in trouble, verses classes where the students paid for those classes and demand their money's worth, you can imagine the one I preferred.
But there are all sorts of rules to jump around when going to community college instead of High School. The system didn't want to going to college, as it reduced the money they were getting from the government, or some such thing. Either way, they made it very difficult for me to finish high school through college. In the end, on my block before graduation, they demanded that I come back to High School, though I only had two two classes left on the docket, which I could have taken in college classes. But because of details and loopholes, I was forced to take these last two at the physical High School.
Enough of set up, back to the day in question.

I had an early morning Seminary Class. I went every morning before the first bell, at a near-ish church building. My Daddy was kind enough to take me and some other Seminary students from the church building and to the High School.

That morning I had been late for Seminary. Or as my Daddy likes to call it, Cemetery. (because of the hours and brain dead students. Dad jokes.) Being late this early was nothing new. I didn't bother brushing my hair that morning, it being so short at the time, and my not caring about boys of that age anyway. I muddled through, and then we headed to High School.
When I got out of the car to cross the street, I nearly got ran over. Not uncommon, and I wasn't concerned.
My class was up the main stairway and in a computer lab. While I headed towards the stairway, I noticed that many students were already there, having breakfast in the cafeteria. The cafeteria is in plain view of all students coming into the building, and all students climbing the stairs. You see where I am going with this.
Not even half way up the main staircase, I trip over my own tired feet, and go sprawling all over the stairs. I always keep the top zipper pocket of my backpack open to easily grab pens and things. Because it was open, when I fell pens and pencils and two tampons fell out and scattered everywhere.
I rubbed my tired eyes and started picking things up when I noticed the laughter. I turned, and the entire cafeteria had seen me fall and were laughing at me. Nearest the stairs was a table full of the loudest and most popular guys. They were of course laughing the loudest and pointing.
With my hands full, and not knowing what to do, I thought fast.
I didn't care if I ever saw any of these people ever again. Most of them were annoying and just interested in social groups and making crude jokes.
But I didn't like the precedent that if I backed down or was embarrassed, it would just encourage them to continue the behavior.
So, trying to think through my tired brain, I turned to the group of guys that were supposed to be attractive (pull your pants up, gentlemen) and popular. I raised my full hands in an 'oh well' gesture, and clearly said "Ta-Duh!"
I continued on to class while they kept laughing.
I had all my things back in my bag before I got to class.
A few people were already in class, mostly in the back of the room and whispering about something or other. I headed to my usual seat that was neither in the back or front, and the seat all the way to the side against the wall. I like defensible positions.
As I went to sit down, I'm not exactly sure how I misjudged myself, but I ended up losing my balance and sitting hard in the seat, falling nearly out of the seat, and body slamming the wall. The impact was rather loud.
I looked behind me in the sudden silence of the classroom. Two girls that had been talking were sitting there staring at me.
I straightened in my seat, gave them a tired smile, and said "Ta-Duh?!"
When done with High School classes, I always had to immediately catch the bus in order to get to college. The bus ride was over an hour most days.
While I was walking to the bus stop closest to the High School, I was reading while walking. I did that a lot. (Still do, who am I kidding)
I noticed before reaching the bus stop that it was a bright and sunny day, strange for Washington. I looked up and around, and at my bus stop, that was usually empty, there was an older guy sitting there.
I had already had a morning of it. I was more awake now. I wasn't going to be weird in front of a guy that was actually okay looking. So I lowered my book, while not putting it away, and kept my head up while I headed towards the bus stop and this looker.
Turns out, not looking at the ground like I usually do, was actually a mistake. I forgot a slight unevenness where some of the pavement met. My foot hit it.
I went down.
I was holding a book, so I hit my knees hard, which gave out, and I fell forward.
Pens scattered again.
I got back to my knees and looked up. The guy was just staring at me, obviously not sure if he should help or laugh.
I had had enough. This day was out to get me. But I wasn't in the mood to give in to the horribleness presented. So, I knelt there and swept my arms wide, and looking this guy in the eye, declared "Ta-Duh!" loudly.
He thought it was funny, but did not help me pick of pens.
I read my book until the bus came, not really liking the sun hitting the pages and hurting my eyes.
When the bus came, the guy got in first, and went directly to the back of the bus. I decided to not tempt fate any more, and went to sit in one of the bench seats at the front of the bus that no one ever sits in, so I would be safe.
I was moving to sit, and was halfway sat, when the driver decided to launch the bus forward. I sprawled instead of sat. My bag was now in the swing of things, and pens went flying again.
I ended up sitting on the floor of the bus, back sore from it's attempts to catch the less than cushioned bench seat. The driver slammed on the breaks when he saw that I had fallen.
"Are you okay?" He yelled, squinting at my from the rear view mirror.
I had to laugh. Some days are just going to be those kind of days.
"Ta-Duh!!!"

And that was my Ta-Duh day. My family loves to hear me tell that story. Keeps people laughing. Other things happened that day as well, but I don't remember the details. The important part is that some days are going to be awful. Most of my teenage years were awful. But when all of it happens in a row like that, sometimes it is better to just yell Ta-Duh! and own it to make it your own.

Smile Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment