Thursday, February 11, 2016

Sissy-Poo's Shooting Story

My Sissy Poo is a photographer.
I have her business card. It is all very official.
One of my favorite photos from my wedding was from her. She wasn't our photographer. She brought her camera and creepered behind our photographer and stood on banisters and crouched in her fancy dress. It showed a lot of leg, but that is photographers for you.
Yesterday I got to see her in action again. And by this I don't mean that this is only the second time I have witnessed. I pretty much demand to see most of her work. One of my favorite pictures she took is hanging on our wall, all canvas like. But, yesterday she was taking family photos of friends of mine for Valentine's Day.
So, naturally, I was her helper. I strapped all the bags of equipment, and coats, and extra things on to my person and tried to keep up. When they stopped to take photos I held the really big round thing (I am told this is called a diffuser or some such nonsense. It is a really big circle with a tent material in it that makes a soft shadow and is not fun to hold over my head for over five minutes) so they wouldn't squint. It was a snowy day in winter, but the sun was bringing it's game.
Before my friends were able to show, Sissy Poo and I were doing some test shots and scouting the area. We had come to the park that they liked, but decided to just stay in a small part of it. Because it was cold. Really cold. Unless you were in the sun for too long. But still cold.
You know those days where it has been snowing and is very much still winter so it is frigid cold, but then the sun shows up to the party and stares at you really hard and it makes you uncomfortable? That. One side of me was in the sun and feeling like I was going to get a sunburn, through my coat, and the other side of me was in my own shadow and felt the winter chill and threatened to produce icicles of proof.
I was very confused. Sissy Poo more so when I kept turning in circles.
Also, Idaho, you have no trees. You call this a Nature Park? I'm pretty sure those were just especially tall grass. I will rant more about that story later.
While we had some time, because the couple has a child and we know how that goes, so Sissy Poo decided to get a closer look at something. She ran like a drunk gazelle and squatted down to take a picture of a net.
Photographers, I tell you. The snow was mid calf at best.
I took this from my phone. I am not a photographer. But I love it how she looks like she is crouching like Gollum in the snow. To take the picture of a net. I hope the picture turned out okay, because it completely soaked her feet.
The family came for their photo adventure, and Sissy Poo went from Sister mode to Professional mode. It is great to witness. The shy shy girl I grew up with has come into her own. She is so cool.
We had a good time. I ran after them with the big round thing. The daddy gave his little girl a rose and she was SO happy about it. She would not let it go the rest of the shoot.
After the rose bit, Sissy Poo tried to take the parents aside for some couple shots while I held the two year old. She was having none of it. The poor thing immediately started crying and screaming for her daddy. (They were really good about taking the photos without showing the stress of screaming toddler just behind the camera. Good thing pictures don't have a sound option, yes?)
I apparently have lost my touch with children. She wouldn't look at me the rest of the time.
I can't share any of the photos. They aren't mine. Sissy Poo is editing them and will hand them over. I'm not sure they would be okay with me showing them off on my awkward little blog anyway.
We had a great time. At least, I hope we all did. They seemed to enjoy it, and we kept it short for cold purposes.
I loved spending time with my Sissy Poo. I don't know if I was that much of a help, but it was great fun.
 Smile Always.

You guys do realize that her name isn't really Sissy Poo, right? I just don't want to give out personal information to the inter-webs without her permission, and I do call her Sissy Poo when I want to be obnoxious and sappy.
Just making sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment