Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Story of the Peanut Butter Cookie Gifts

 I am a compulsive gifter.
More so when I am nervous about meeting people, have to teach someone, or really want them to be my friend.
Recently, I was in a situation where I needed to do all three. So I baked.
I know that peanut butter based things are not the very best for a first gift. You have to worry about allergies, if they are on a diet that you didn't know about, or are just one of those contrary people that like the crunch instead of the creamy peanut butter, or vice versa.
Sadly, I didn't have much choice in my gifts. I am broke (or very near like it, as I am saving every penny and pail for baby coming soon), have no space in my tiny kitchen to make something too elaborate, and I am also the laziest person I have ever met and didn't want to go out to get extra ingredients. So I looked up things based on the things I already had and, wham, I am making peanut butter cookies.

I have trouble with baking where I live now. I used to be at sea level, and know all about how to cook and bake back home. But I moved from water level baking to my home here that is high elevation. I know there are charts and tricks and your momma's favorite hack to change a recipe from sea level to high elevation to make it a taste just the same and all this. I have tried everything in my know-how to get baking to do what I want here. I have been to multiple cooking classes and used all of the methods taught. My baking here just always fails. I can barely get bread to work.
So, I was nervous about these cookies. I wanted to make a good impression, but it was a gamble.
Following the recipe I will include at the bottom of the page (just scroll down to it if that is all you are here for. I'm not offended) I was pleasantly surprised to find the consistency exactly as described. So I went ahead and made about 50 of them.

 Before you get too impressed with that nice big number, I made 50 cookies that were each the size of a medium sized button.
I did them this size because I don't have full sized cookie sheets and wanted to get them done and ready in the shortest amount of time. So I made about 50 very small ones so they would cook fast and the batter would never get suspicious on me while I was waiting for the first ones to bake.
I also don't own cooling racks.
I know, and I call myself domestic? I'm working on it, promise!
So I used paper lined foil on my tiny little cookie sheets so when they were half cooled and not going to break when moved, I could slide them over to my tiny little work space and let them finish cooling while I got the next batch in.
You will notice a cookie or two is missing from the picture above. I had to taste test. To be sure they were moist enough and all that. And because button sized cookies seem to make us all feel as if they are guilt free. Warning - you might just inhale the first five cough-ten-cough before you realize you should control yourself. They be good.
 Well, as I said, I am a gifter. I didn't want to just hand over a plate of cookies that were smaller than they should be. And my paper plates are in low supply - real plates in low number and cannot be spared. I also consider myself very crafty and domestic. So I had to prove myself.
Peanut butter cookies have this habit of that cross hatching on the top, made by pressing them down with a fork before baking. I don't do that. One, I like to be different. Secondly, I didn't want crumbly bits to make them even smaller before I could get them to the ladies they were going to. So I smashed with a spoon instead of the fork. I know, breaking boundaries here. Cutting edge baking here.
These un-crumble cookies also made them perfect for stacking.
I will admit, this idea of gifting came from my husband. My Lovely is just as crafty as me, and gives me so many ideas of how to improve my crafting.
He thought I should use those mason jars that everyone is head of heels about, and fill them up with thumb sized snack like cookies or home made cheese crackers or chocolate dipped pretzels. Then decorate the mason jar. His thoughts were that every woman he has ever met thinks miniature anything is adorable and wonderful. (You know he is right. How do you think mini M&Ms became a thing? It isn't because you get more chocolate)
I wasn't going to make thumb sized peanut butter cookies. I am just NOT that patient. So these button sized ones were a great midway. And I had some empty peanut butter jars. I get the smaller jars through WIC, and when we empty one I clean it out and keep it. Because you never know when you are going to need a small plastic jar.
And luck would just have it that these button cookies fit the jars perfectly without hitting the sides. I was able to stack 8 cookies on top of one another, put the jar over them, and turn to make a cute little car of cookies.
I have no idea why I had saved the labels of the peanut butter jar lids. Crafting has a tendency to borderline on hoarding. Just don't tell My Lovely that I admitted that.
But I am so glad I had them, because re-wrapping them on the jars was just adorable, and told them it was creamy peanut butter to boot. (Judge me, crunchy lovers, if you dare!)
I didn't have twine on hand and my ribbons were all in the bottom of a bin somewhere. I also didn't want a ribbon to soak up the bit of oil peanut butter anything will always have. So I grabbed some brown paper I use to make my own patterns, and put it between the lid and jar.
The lids are not air tight. I am well aware of that. And the paper is not protection. But it is a little extra step that I thought was cute.
I also wrote on the paper, so when they opened the lid they would get a cute little note before cookies. See, domestic craftiness re initiated. I got this.
I wrote "Peanut Butter Makes Love Stick to Your Heart!" on the papers. (Because it is not only cute, but true) I was running out of time and so apparently forgot to take a picture of that step. Oops. How will you ever forgive me?

I made three of these small jars as gifts. Because I had three jars. And I had to get more cookies out of the house because apparently I still have not developed any impulse control. They were really good.
When I delivered the first of the jars the lady it was meant for was not home. Her husband was happy to take it for her, though his confusion at being handed a jar of peanut butter was pretty priceless until he got a better look. The children all around his knees know the ways, though, and immediately knew there were treats to be had.
I left him there to control the suddenly ravenous kiddos, pleased.

The quality of the pictures is not great, and I'm no professional anything, but I thought you would like to see the project and how I put it together.
It makes an easy gift at the last minute, or just because you think someone needs more Love stuck to their heart.

Recipe (format from Pepperplate.com. Great website/app that you can grab recipes from almost any site on and access from anywhere. I may do a post on it later. Not a sponser, I just love them.) :

Peanut Butter Cookies

YIELD
 30
ACTIVE TIME
 10
TOTAL TIME
 20
CATEGORIES
 cookies, dessert, peanut butter

INGREDIENTS

    • 1 1/2 cups flour
    • 1/2 cup butter (113g)
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

    1. pre heat the oven to 180 C (375 F)
    2. beat the butter and sugar together until creamy
    3. add the egg and beat some more
    4. add the peanut butter and vanilla extract and beat
    5. sift the flour, baking soda and salt and add to the batter
    6. mix briefly until the dough comes together
    7. roll the dough into small balls about 1 inch (3 cm’s), place on a lined baking sheet and press down with a fork
    8. bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until a light golden brown
    9. remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack

No comments:

Post a Comment