Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Story of Doritos Chicken Nachos!

I don't often share recipes. I love to cook, but I'm pretty sure that there are enough recipe websites and blogs around.
I am sharing one now, though. Because it took me way too long to find it, and I am so excited to make it.

Many people call this Doritos Chicken Casserole, or some variation of that. I call it Doritos Chicken Nachos, and you will soon see why.
I first found this recipe when I was taking a cooking class at BYUI. They have since discontinued the class, and I can't find the recipes of anything we made on the inter-webs. It is awful. So many yummy things that I have to scour the internet to find something similar.
But back to Doritos.

I can go into details of the cooking class and all that. I can tell you all the reasons I love this recipe and la dee da. But you most likely don't care and want me to get to the actual recipe part. I can do that!

Bonus: When you tell your spouse/kids/guests that you are making something with Doritos in the name, they most likely will already be fully supportive of the meal.

Ingredients:
Bag of Doritos - different recipes tell you to get different sizes and that flavored tortilla chips work fine and all that. Let's be honest. Doritos is what everyone wants and is addicted to. Just get as big of bag as you think is priced fairly and that your store offers. When it says Family Size, just think that it is the feeling of family meals that is going into the food. Not that you actually have to share this with more than two other people.
Cooked Chicken - most recipes call for three-ish cups. But who cuts of shreds their chicken to put it into a measuring cup? If you do, good on you. You care more than me. I say grab four or five normal sized chicken breasts. Think a breast size of chicken for each person the recipe is (supposed) to serve. Chicken can be cooked any way you want. Boiling is fast. You can also grill, bake, or even steam the chicken. OR, amazing idea, grab a precooked rotisserie chicken from the market. So you don't have to spend twice the prep time on just bird meat. Lots of delis even have half portions of them, which is perfect for this recipe.
Cheese and more cheese - go for fun here. Mexican blend bags of shredded cheese are fine. If you don't like the taste of preservatives, the cheese you have on hand will most likely be fine. Cheddar, pepper jack, some of everything. I don't suggest Swiss cheese, but then again I just don't like Swiss unless there is fancy bread involved. Just grate, crumble, shred, or karate chop whatever cheese you have on hand. About a half cup per person. 2 cups average. But most people like cheese, so just let your growling empty stomach decide when you have enough. It's not like you won't snack on it while you're waiting.
1.5 cups salsa - I use salsa because it has bits of chilies, peppers, and onions in there. So I can pretend it brings something healthy. Something to offset the mountain of chips and cheese I am unabashedly dumping into this recipe. If salsa isn't your thing, you can use canned tomatoes, tomato and chili, tomato sauce and or paste. Just get something zingy in there. No ketchup. Don't be that person.
2 cans cream of chicken - I suggest adding one can, mixing, then adding the other only if needed. We are making the base more of a casserole, not a soup. You need to get a just-under-sore arm when you are mixing, not splashing that always aims for your eyes. But that second can is great if you need to stretch the recipe further.
6-8 ounces of sour cream - Important. Do NOT use whipping cream. Do not use milk, no matter how old. Just get some sour cream and don't tempt fate with substitutions. Depending on the store, you can find the smallest size being a 6 or an 8 ounce container. Either works. If your store has both, you are too lucky of a person, and just go with what your hungry tummy suggests.
Taco seasoning is optional. - I only use maybe half a packet of seasoning, if they come in those little envelopes. They say it is equal to a pound of meat, but that has always been overpowering to me. I suppose I could have just said 'to taste', but I always wonder if that means 'enough where you can just barely taste it' which I don't find to be very exciting.
(Did I mention that I am pregnant? That is why letting your belly decide is such an important step in most of these. #ObeyTheBelly )

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350*F. If you use Celsius, look up a converter on the inter-webs. I can't help you.
Attack casserole dish with cooking spray. This is very important, as we all know that baked on cheese may as well be cement. Get all the sides. You do not want to be chiseling cheese off later. Completely ruins the mood of the dinner.
Make a small layer on the bottom of the casserole dish with Doritos. Just a layer. Some people don't like doing this, as they feel the chips get soggy by the end. Your choice. But do it.
Grab out a mixing bowl and dump everything that is not Doritos in the bowl. You can save some of the cheese for the top if you like, but who has the self control? Mix well - or until your arm gets tired.
Now, spread that mixture of goodness over that layer of chips. It probably looks terrible at this point. That means you did it right. Got to love casseroles, right?
Some people now say to add another layer of Doritos over the top. Only do this if you like that charred taste that people seem to think means the food is fancy. Otherwise, hold the rest of the Doritos in a safe place and try not to eat them all before the rest is done cooking. Keep out of reach of children.
If you forgot to preheat the oven, like I always do, turn that on now.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 ish minutes. I should be more exact, but we all know that every oven is different, and with altitudes and all that silliness; I just don't want you to get mad at me. This is now the time to pull the food out (With oven mitts, you monster!) and add that extra cheese on top, if you had the self discipline. Cook that for 5 ish minutes more, aka cheese is bubbling and volcano hot.
Now, this is where it becomes nachos to me. Most recipes are saying this is a casserole, so you would now pull it out and serve warm. I say you take it out, and serve over the rest of those Doritos like it is a nacho party! This means you don't need to use spoons or forks that you have to wash later, and who doesn't want to use Doritos as nachos? This is why we didn't cook them all. They either become soggy under the casserole, or too brittle if cooked on top. But as little fake-cheese-flavored shovels, they are perfect!


I hope you liked this recipe. It wasn't very formal, but I'm not a very formal writer.
Share the pictures and reactions to your Doritos nachos creations!
Should I share more recipes?

Smile Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment