Monday, May 23, 2016

Story of the First Ultrasound

In honor of my leaving the First Trimester this week, I thought I would share the story of our first ultrasound.
I found out about the pregnancy at four weeks (though the nurse estimated at three weeks).
I was over the moon excited. I wanted to tell everyone in a second, but more than that I wanted to meet our baby.
While knowing I was pregnant, and feeling the morning sickness and exhaustion, I really wanted to have some sort of proof. Yes, the nice nurse lady have me a little slip of paper as 'proof of pregnancy' to give to doctors, it didn't feel real. The symptoms could be a really terrible flu bug or stomach virus. I didn't look any different. It was all just something we knew, but didn't feel real most of the time. Unless I was curled up next to the puke bowl.
So when we went in for the first ultrasound I was SO excited. I made My Lovely get out of class early and refused to plan anything for the rest of the day, because I knew I was just going to be a mess and not be able to handle it.
We had the ultrasound on the same day we were moving across town. I thought for sure in my planning that we would be done days earlier and by the day of the ultrasound it would all have been taken care of. Things didn't go that way. (Another story on that later)
So we finished the last moving out right before the appointment. With the last of the moving boxes in the back of our teeny tiny car, which we call the Barbie Jeep, we showed up for the appointment barely on time, and I went in while Lovely parked.
By the time Lovely came up, I had already been shown into the room after fixing a few paperwork errors in our records. I was asked to give a sample, and when I came back to the exam room Lovely was waiting there and we just had a quiet moment to prepare to see our baby for the first time.
After donning the amazingly attractive paper not-even-a-dress and sheet, the ultrasound tech came in and we did our attempt at small talk while everything got ready.
I had felt sick and excited. I knew I was pregnant. I was tracking symptoms and everything.
But when we got that first image of baby it was still a shock to see.
The pictures from ultrasound that people pass about are not really justice to seeing in person. It was all black and white. But because of the movement and real time, we could actually see our little Spawn wiggling around in there.
When the nurse found out we referred to our baby as Spawn she nearly swallowed her tongue in laughter and surprise. And when I compared our precious little baby to a deformed gummy bear I don't think she knew how to handle us.
All jokes aside, it was amazing. The little thing was wiggling around more than I had ever thought, though of course I couldn't feel anything. Spawn was waving around little stubby limbs.
I admit that I may have coughed once or twice to make sure it was actually my innards we were getting video of.
We found out baby was a week older than we had been told. Heart rate was nice a high, but a healthy number for a goober so young.
We got four pictures on leaving. None of them even touch on how amazing it was to see Spawn in real time moving about and to realize it was real, and inside me.
To wrap my brain around the fact that it is real, our baby, and to see Spawn inside me was just amazing.
The next baby appointment is in just a few days. While we won't be getting any more pictures, it will be so nice to check up and make sure Spawn is still doing well.

I do promise not every post on this blog will be about Spawn. Right now it is the biggest thing in my life, but I will go on more about other topics and rants, writings and opinions.

Smile Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment